It’s everywhere in the news, and there are a lot of questions we don’t yet have answers to. However, there are some facts that can help us better understand what the virus is, what personal measures we can take to prevent it and how contract cleaners can help reduce the risk of any virus spreading in your facility.
What is Coronavirus?
The coronavirus is actually a family of viruses that includes the common cold, SARS (remember that?) and other viruses. A new strain was discovered in Wuhan, China at the end of 2019, and it has now spread to 60 countries around the world, including the United States.
Like many other viruses, it is spread most commonly from person-to-person contact. It may be spread between people who are in close contact with one another (within about six feet) through respiratory droplets made when someone with the virus sneezes or coughs.
According to the CDC, it may also be possible to get the virus by touching a contaminated surface or object, then touching your own nose, mouth or eyes.
Symptoms of coronavirus typically appear 2 to 14 days after exposure and include fever, shortness of breath and cough.
What precautionary measures are recommended?
- Wash your hands!! Wash your hands often with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds. If water and soap aren’t available, use a hand sanitizer with an alcohol content of at least 70%.
- Do not touch your eyes, mouth or nose with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Cover your sneeze or coughs with a tissue or the sleeve of your shirt, not your hands.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces that are frequently-touched, like doorknobs. Talk to us about our office cleaning services to learn more about how we can help in your facility!
- If you are sick, stay home. Talk to your employer about sick time or being able to work from home.